Do you have a partner but is he/she not officially registered as partner?

If you are not married, but are living together without formal registration of your relationship this can cause problems if you pass away. In such a situation your partner doesn’t inherit anything (unless you have laid it down in a will) and your partner will not be entitled to a part of your pension (unless you informed your pension fund about your partner). Legally your partner doesn’t have any rights.
In order to avoid this, it is suggested to officially register your relationship with a notary or -if you don’t want that- ask advice. A notary can help you.

Does the Netherlands offer cancer screening?

The Netherlands has three cancer screening programs  (bevolkingsonderzoek):

  • breast cancer screening for women aged 50 to 75
  • cervical cancer screening for women aged 30 to 60
  • bowel cancer screening for men and women aged 55 to 75

These programs are free and participation is voluntary. You can find more information on



What can I do when I am dissatisfied with the medical specialist?

When you are dissatisfied with the medical specialist, it is suggested to discuss it with him/her first. If this doesn’t solve the problem, you can  file a complaint. Every hospital and clinic has a procedure for this.

If you have second thoughts about the medical solution provided by the specialist, you can ask another doctor for a second opinion. Depending on your preferences this can be a doctor in the same hospital or clinic or somewhere else. You need a new referral for this from your GP.