ACCESS NL > Childbirth Courses
Starting (or expanding) a family far from home, where health care practices and customs may differ, can be overwhelming. This is why the ACCESS Childbirth Preparation Courses have been so popular over the years. In addition to answering your questions, you will also learn how to prepare for labour and delivery in The Netherlands. It is also a wonderful opportunity to meet other couples in the same boat. Many participants go on to develop lasting friendships, thereby increasing their social network.
What to expect
Our courses are designed for couples and are offered either as a weekly class or as a one-day intensive course. Check Dates & Locations for exact details in your area. Our trainers suggest that you be ato least 26 weeks pregnant or during your third trimester when starting the course.o
The costs of the ACCESS Childbirth Preparation Course is €240 and a receipt is issued upon payment.
Some of the topics covered include:
- The Dutch health system as pertaining to prenatal and postpartum care
- The three stages of labour and deliver and how experienced
- Relaxation, breathing and massage techniques to deal with labour pain
- The role of the birthing partner during labour and delivery
- Attitude towards pain and contractions
- Breathing and positioning during the different stages of labour
- The pros and cons of pain relief
- Instrumental assisted delivery (vacuum extraction, caesarean section)
- Breastfeeding information (limited)
- First week of motherhood
- Dutch habits and customs
* The costs of the course may be reimbursed by your health insurance. ACCESS, however, bears no responsibility for this process. Please check with your insurance company for details.
You can read about our Birth Course Trainers – Truus Gale in Amsterdam, Lee Tolman and Ria Wiertz in The Hague, Chitra Natarajan in Utrecht, and Ria Wiertz in Rotterdam here.