ACCESS NL > Childbirth Courses
Starting (or expanding) a family far from home, where you may not be aware of ‘how things are done’ or ‘what you can expect’ can be an overwhelming feeling. This is why the ACCESS Childbirth Preparation Courses have been so popular over the years: not only are your questions answered, but you learn what you need to prepare for and meet others who, like you, are having a family here in the Netherlands.
What to expect
Our courses are designed for couples and are offered as sessions – weekly, or as a one-day course. During weekly series, session runs for 2 hours from 18:45 to 21:00 on a specific weekday evening. Which, will depend on the location (see Dates & locations). Our trainers suggest that in order to take part on the course you need to be in your third Trimester, at least 26 weeks pregnant. Besides the obvious benefits of learning about what to expect, and how things work in the Netherlands, past participants comment often on the added benefits of meeting people in a similar situation. From many of our courses, we know, many coffee & play dates take place for many years to come.
To get you off on the right foot, be sure to take part in a Course designed to do just that. Your Trainer can further advise you on any pre-and post- partum related support you may need.
The costs of the ACCESS Birth Preparation Course is €240 and a receipt is issued for the payment made.
Some of the topics covered include:
- How the health system works around childbirth in the Netherlands
- Relaxation, breathing and massage exercises in the first stage of labour
- Dilation, what happens in your body
- Attitude towards contractions and pain
- How to relax when in labour
- Breathing in the different stages of labour
- Pain relief, what are the possibilities
- Exercises such as pushing in different positions
- Third stage
- Instrumental assisted delivery (vacuum extraction, caesarean section)
- Breastfeeding information (limited)
- First week of motherhood
- Dutch habits and customs
* The costs of the course may be reimbursed from your health insurance. ACCESS, however, bears no responsibility for this process. Please check with your insurance company for details yourself.
You can read about our Birth Course Trainers – Truus Gale in Amsterdam, Lee Tolman and Ria Wiertz in The Hague, Chitra Natarajan in Utrecht, and Ria Wiertz in Rotterdam here.