ACCESS NL > Childbirth Courses
Starting (or expanding) a family far from home, where health care practices and customs may differ, can be overwhelming. This is why the ACCESS Childbirth Preparation Courses have been so popular over the years. In addition to answering your questions, you will also learn how to prepare for labour and delivery in the Netherlands.
During the summer many of our courses will start taking place offline, face-to-face! Check locations where this information is shared. We will, however, still offer online courses – open to all international parents or parents to be who would appreciate preparing for the birth in English, and with others in a similar situation – far from home. The online courses are of course open to anyone, regardless of where they live.
What to expect
Our courses are designed for couples/parent(s) and are offered either as a weekly class or as a one-day intensive course. Check Dates & Locations for exact details in your area. Our trainers suggest that you be at least 26 weeks pregnant or during your third trimester when starting the course.
The cost of our intensive ACCESS Childbirth Preparation Course, now offered in two half days online (as opposed to one full day offline) is €295. The four or five-weekly extensive course plus a baby reunion is €325. These extensive courses are also available online. A receipt is issued upon payment, and fees include 21% VAT.
Some of the topics covered include:
- The Dutch health system as pertaining to prenatal and postpartum care
- The stages of labour and delivery
- Relaxation, breathing and massage techniques to deal with labour pain
- The role of the birthing partner during labour and delivery
- Attitude towards pain and contractions
- Breathing and positioning during the different stages of labour
- The pros and cons of medical pain relief
- Instrumental assisted delivery (vacuum extraction, caesarean section)
- Breastfeeding information (limited)
- First week of motherhood
- Dutch habits and customs
* The costs of the course may be reimbursed by your health insurance. ACCESS, however, bears no responsibility for this process. Please check with your insurance company for details.
You can read about our Birth Course Trainers – Truus Gale in Amsterdam; Meida van Baal, Nina Bogerd and Maggie Bijl in The Hague; Chitra Natarajan in Utrecht, and Maggie Bijl in Rotterdam here.
“First of all, we would like to thank you for last weekend’s class. It was very informative and we specially appreciated the way you explained everything and see how passionate you are about what you are doing.” Course participant, 2020, Rotterdam
“I found this course very informative and it gave me and my husband a nice refresher about pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum phase. Chitra was very open for questions and provided us with a lot of materials which was extra to the course.” Anh & Thomas, 2020, Utrecht
“Totally recommend ACCESS for birthing courses.
We followed one a few weeks ago, in English and at the last minute it had to happen via Zoom because of the COVID-19 measures and it was still totally worthwhile and extremely informative, even for a 2nd time mum.” Becki Slegg, April 2020, The Hague