My landlord doesn’t maintain the house properly. What can I do?

The landlord is responsible for major repairs and maintenance of the rented accommodation. The tenant is responsible for minor, not expensive repairs.You can find an overview of repairs and who is responsible for them on the website of the government. (Dutch only)  If you have a complaint about the maintenance of the house, you have to contact your landlord. It is suggested to do this in writing. If you and your landlord can’t agree about the maintenance, you can go to court or ask the rental committee (huurcommissie) to judge the situation. You can only go to the huurcommissie if your house qualifies as social housing (rent up to a maximum, determined by the government). On the website of the government  you  can find out if your house qualifies as social housing.

If your house qualifies as “free sector” (vrije sector) you can only  go to court. It is suggested to ask  help from a lawyer as the rules as quite complicated. The Juridisch loket can advise you what to do.


I am going to leave the Netherlands. Do I have to pay local taxes for the full year?

When you are leaving the Netherlands, you will only have to pay local taxes for the months you lived in the Netherlands. Some municipalities arrange any refunds automatically; in other municipalities you need to apply for it. It is suggested to contact your municipality and ask for the procedure

Which formalities are needed when I move within the Netherlands?

Whenever you move within or to a new municipality, you must register with your new municipality. You can do this online. Visit the website of your new municipality and login with DigiD. If this doesn’t work for you, contact the new municipality and ask for other options your new municipality will inform several government organisations. You can ask them which organisations will receive your new address and which organisations you have to inform yourself.

In addition, it is important to inform your bank and utility providers about your new address.

What should I do when I am ill and unable to work?

When you are ill and unable to work, you need to inform your manager as soon as possible. Every organisation has its own rules regarding when you need to inform your employer. Sometimes you need to call the administration. You don’t have to give any medical information. The company doctor (bedrijfsarts) will invite you to see him if your illness lasts longer than just a few days or a few weeks. He will also advise your employer if you can do your work or if there are any limitations to take into account (e.g. fewer hours, no physically heavy work). If you would like to discuss anything with the bedrijfsarts when you are not ill, you can make an appointment. Sometimes employers don’t like this, but you have the legal right to see a bedrijfsarts.

Your manager will probably ask you if there is any work that needs urgently looked after by a colleague and when you expect to be back at work. When your illness lasts longer than 6 weeks your employer must get in touch with you to make a reintegration plan. This plan has to be finished six weeks after you became ill.

I have heard employees receive a holiday allowance. How much do I get and when?

In the Netherlands, all employees receive at least 8% holiday allowance over their gross income during 12 months. It is common to pay it every year in May, but another payment date is possible too.  If you have worked extra hours and got paid for this, the holiday allowance is also calculated over this income.