ACCESS NL > Housing in the Netherlands > Renting a house in the Netherlands > My landlord doesn’t maintain the house properly. What can I do?

Housing in the Netherlands

Should I buy or rent a house or apartment in the Netherlands?

I want to rent or buy a property. Can you advise me how to find one?

What is the difference between a short-stay apartment and a hotel room?

How can I find a student room?

Which neighbourhoods are popular for expats?

How can I avoid scams when looking for a rental property?

What are the standard practices for renting via a makelaar (real estate agent)?

What is the process of finalising the deal while renting a property?

How about taking possession?

I have rented a house and some repairs are needed. Who is responsible for this: the landlord or I?

What should I do when I want to hand the property back to the landlord?

I have some issues and contract disputes with my landlord on the room/house that I am renting. Can ACCESS provide me with some legal advice or is there a legal authority that I can go to or consult regarding these issues?

I have signed my rental contract but I realise only now that some things in the contract are not fair. What can I do about it?

The contract is in my partner’s name and she/he is leaving the Netherlands. May I continue living in the house?

How can I get water, electricity and gas connections?

How can I get connected to telephone, Internet and TV?

Are there any special rules for collecting household waste?

What factors should I take into account before buying a house or apartment?

What costs are involved in buying a house or apartment?

What other costs should I consider before buying a house in Netherlands?

Which process should I follow when buying a house?

Is it compulsory to have a written contract to buy a house or is a verbal agreement binding as well in the Netherlands?

I have made an offer and signed a ‘contract of sale’ for a house. Can I still withdraw the offer?

I am considering buying an apartment. I have heard that I will become a member of a VvE (Vereniging van Eigenaren, Association of Owners). Can you explain what this is and what they do?

What does a notary do in the Netherlands?

What legal services does a notary provide?

How much do I pay for a notary service?

What is the difference between the private market and the social housing market for rental properties?

How can I get a huurtoeslag?

What insurances are compulsory for my home?

Should I consider taking out additional insurances for my home and my possessions?

How do I get a loan for buying an apartment or a house?

Are there restrictions on how much I can borrow for my mortgage?

What are the types of mortgages available in the Netherlands?

How can I decide which mortgage is best for me?

How is the interest on my mortgage calculated?

What type of information is required when getting a mortgage?

When do I start to repay my mortgage?

What happens if I find that I can no longer afford to pay my mortgage?

What are the types of housing in the Netherlands?

My landlord doesn’t maintain the house properly. What can I do?

The landlord is responsible for major repairs and maintenance of the rented accommodation. The tenant is responsible for minor, not expensive repairs.You can find an overview of repairs and who is responsible for them on the website of the government. (Dutch only)  If you have a complaint about the maintenance of the house, you have to contact your landlord. It is suggested to do this in writing. If you and your landlord can’t agree about the maintenance, you can go to court or ask the rental committee (huurcommissie) to judge the situation. You can only go to the huurcommissie if your house qualifies as social housing (rent up to a maximum, determined by the government). On the website of the government  you  can find out if your house qualifies as social housing.

If your house qualifies as “free sector” (vrije sector) you can only  go to court. It is suggested to ask  help from a lawyer as the rules as quite complicated. The Juridisch loket can advise you what to do.