ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > First three months > Formalities > Which formalities are needed when I move within the Netherlands?

First three months

What is a BSN? Am I required to get one?

Will my driving licence be valid?

Which insurances are most important in the Netherlands?

Is there any insurance that applies to me as a student?

Can I take my pet with me on the passenger's cabin?

Do I need to register my pet in the Netherlands? And are there any costs involved?

Should I clean up after my dog?

I find it difficult and expensive to park my car in many major cities. Is there a way for me to park my car easier and cheaper?

How does the OV-chipkaart work?

What types of OV-chipkaart are there?

Can I travel by public transport if I don't have an OV-chipkaart?

How can I find out which tram, bus or train I need and the departure times?

It seems that everybody is biking in the Netherlands. Where can I buy a bike for myself?

What kinds of bikes are available?

I have hardly any knowledge of biking. How can I learn to bike?

Are there any special traffic rules for cyclists?

What is the minimum age to ride a moped in the Netherlands?

Are there any special traffic rules for mopeds?

List of useful numbers in the Netherlands

How can I arrange a parking space lot near my house?

How are parking spaces lots organised in the Netherlands?

What to do when I hear the sirens?

Which formalities are needed when I move within the Netherlands?

Whenever you move within or to a new municipality, you must register with your new municipality. You can do this online. Visit the website of your new municipality and login with DigiD. If this doesn’t work for you, contact the new municipality and ask for other options your new municipality will inform several government organisations. You can ask them which organisations will receive your new address and which organisations you have to inform yourself.

In addition, it is important to inform your bank and utility providers about your new address.