Pets in the Netherlands
Can I bring my pet to the Netherlands?
Can I take my pet with me on the passenger's cabin?
Do I need to register my pet in the Netherlands? And are there any costs involved?
Dogs must be registered with the gemeentelijke belastingdienst (municipal tax department), and a hondenbelasting (dog tax) is charged annually, calculated on the number of dogs in each household. You need to inform the municipality about the number of dogs you have.
Although not compulsory, it could be a good idea to take out an insurance for your pet. Pet insurance can cover much of unexpected vet expenses in case of an injury, illness or damage to third parties. Some of the things you may consider when choosing a pet insurance could be:
- Does the policy cover all chronic, congenital and hereditary conditions?
- Is there a time limit on treatment per condition?
- Is there a cost limit on treatment per condition?
- Are there flexible coverage options to fit your budget and needs exactly?
- Does the insurance cover for damage or injury caused to third parties?