ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > First three months > Formalities > What is a ‘Certificate of Fitness’ (VvG)? And when is it necessary?


Print FAQ

What is a BSN? Am I required to get one?

Will my driving licence be valid?

What is a 'Certificate of Fitness' (VvG)? And when is it necessary?

A Verklaring van Geschiktheid – VvG (certificate of fitness) may be required by the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing), when applying for a driving licence in the following cases:

  • when a Dutch licence is first issued
  • when a driving licence is exchanged and the country of issue do not belong to the European Union/European Free Trade Association (EU/EFTA)
  • if you have a medical restriction
  • if you are older than 75 years

You can find more details about when a VvG is required and how to proceed on the RDW’s website (Dutch Road Transport Directorate).

Which insurances are most important in the Netherlands?

Is there any insurance that applies to me as a student?

What are the emergency numbers in the Netherlands?

List of useful numbers in the Netherlands