ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > Dutch social security and benefits > Who is covered by the Dutch social insurance system?

Dutch social security and benefits

Who administers the social security schemes in the Netherlands?

Who is covered by the Dutch social insurance system?

If you are going to live or work in the Netherlands you are in principle covered under the Dutch social security system. However, there may be exceptions. You can read more about the rules that apply to you on the official European Commission website.

As a rule, you only pay social security contributions in the country where you actually work (as an employee or self-employed). There are some cases when you can be working in the Netherlands but be paying your social security contribution in another country, such as:

  • you work outside the Netherlands and do not have a Dutch secondment certificate
  • you work as a civil servant for another country’s embassy or consulate, or for an international organization such as NATO, the European Union or Europol. Your family members will only be insured if they work in the Netherlands
  • you work for the government of another country or for the Antillean or Aruban government. In that case, your family members will not be covered under Dutch national insurance either
  • you work in international transport for a non-Dutch employer, transporting persons or goods mainly outside the Netherlands
  • you are a musician, performing artist or sportsperson working in the Netherlands for a short period of time
  • you are studying in the Netherlands temporarily and are not employed

Find out whether you are covered by social insurance in the Netherlands on the SVB:

What social security benefits are available in the Netherlands?

If I claim social security benefits, will it affect my residence permits?

How can I get kindersbijslag (child benefit) and how does it work?