ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > Dutch social security and benefits > What is kindgebonden budget (child-related budget) and do I qualify for it?

Child benefits in the Netherlands

Who administers the social security schemes in the Netherlands?

Who is covered by the Dutch social insurance system?

What social security benefits are available in the Netherlands?

If I claim social security benefits, will it affect my residence permits?

How can I get kindersbijslag (child benefit) and how does it work?

What is kindgebonden budget (child-related budget) and do I qualify for it?

If you receive the kinderbijslag (child benefit), you may also qualify for kindgebonden budget (child-related budget). This is an extra monthly contribution from the government for low-income families. The child-related budget is granted by the Social Security Office (Sociale Verzekeringbank – SVB) and paid by the tax authorities (Belastingdienst). If you are receiving the child benefit, the SVB will submit a claim to the Belastingdienst for a child-related budget.

Whether you are eligible for the child-related budget depends on your family income and assets. If you qualify, you will receive a letter from them within eight weeks. If you don’t hear from the Belastingdienst, it means that your family income is too high to get this benefit. However, if you think you are entitled to a child-related budget, you can request it online with your DigiD account via ‘Mijntoeslagen’. Further information is available (in Dutch only)