ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > Legal matters in the Netherlands > Immigration in the Netherlands > What is the Civic Integration Act and who does it apply to?

Immigration in the Netherlands

Do I need a residence permit to live and/or work in the Netherlands?

What is the Civic Integration Act and who does it apply to?

The Civic Integration Act stipulates that most people from non-EU countries who immigrate to the Netherlands and live in the Netherlands must learn Dutch and understand how the Dutch society works. This is referred to as inburgering (civic integration). The aim of the Dutch integration policy is to have everyone in the Netherlands, including newcomers, feel a sense of community with each other and involvement with the Netherlands. The government wants people who settle in the Netherlands to take part in Dutch society regardless of where they come from or what they believe in.

The requirements and exemptions for taking the inburgeringsexamen (civic integration examination) are amended on regular basis, you should always check the latest information provided on

For more information about this topic visit the ACCESS FAQ’s Learning Dutch for civic integration.