ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > Tax in the Netherlands > Which municipal taxes do I have to pay?

Tax in the Netherlands

Can you give me an overview of the Dutch tax system?

What taxes will I have to pay in the Netherlands?

What types of indirect taxes are there in the Netherlands?

What dates does the tax year cover in the Netherlands and when do I need to provide a tax return?

How can I get help with my tax return?

How do I know if I must pay income tax?

How do I submit my tax return?

Can I claim any tax benefits against my declared income?

What about my savings and investments? Do I have to transfer them to the Netherlands?

When does the 30% ruling end?

Do I need to pay taxes if I bring my own vehicle to the Netherlands?

What is the bpm?

Which municipal taxes do I have to pay?

In addition to national taxes, every resident in the Netherlands has to pay local taxes as well. Every year your municipality sends you a tax form that covers your local tax contributions for the year.

If you rent a house

If you are renting a house, it is likely you have to pay two local taxes: household waste tax and water tax.

Household waste tax  (afvalstoffenheffing) is used for the collection and processing of your household waste

Water tax (waterschapsbelasting) is billed separately by the water board (hoogheemraadschap) in your area. It is used for cleaning water, sanitation and flood prevention.

If you own a house

If you own a house you have to pay afvalstoffenheffing and waterschapsbelasting too.

In addition you have to pay sewage tax (rioolheffing) and  property tax (OZB, onroerende zaak belasting).

The rioolheffing is used to pay for waste water and for rainwater that ends up in the sewer.

The OZB is a percentage of the value of your house and is used to maintain the local  infrastructure.