What are the emergency numbers in the Netherlands?

In the Netherlands there is no 24 hours medical service. During office hours you can contact your GP. After office hours and in the weekend, every municipality has a so called huisartsenpost that can be contacted for medical problems that can’t wait until your own GP is available again. We could list the numbers of the huisartsenpost in several cities, but when you call your GP after office hours or in the weekend, you will be referred to the huisartsenpost and the phone number will be given.  The same goes for dentists.  In most cities there are several vets who offer after hours service and some even offer 24 hour service. They are all commercial.  The common rule for huisartsen and  dentists is also for vets. In general you call your own vet if your pet has problems. If he/she is not available, you can call an emergency service.  This is also often listed on the website of your vet.

You can find all emergency numbers here.

List of useful numbers in the Netherlands

Useful numbers


ACCESS Counselling Service Network

(also see Counsellor on Call)

0900 222 2377

Parnassia The Hague

070 – 391 6391

PsyQ International (8.30 until 17.30 and on Tuesday and Thursday from 8.30 until 20.00)

088 357 3478

(Netherlands Association for Outpatients’ Mental Health Care)

Sexual Abuse


020 – 611 6022

Centre for Domestic Violence Amsterdam

020 626 3800 (8.00 – 23.00)

Emergency 06 10599458

The Hague

070 – 362 0496

Other locations

0900 899 8411

(Weekdays 09:00 – 23:00

Weekends 15:00 – 23:00)

SOS Distress

Amsterdam (24hr)

020 – 675 7575

The Hague (24hr)

070 – 345 4500

Rotterdam (24hr)

010 – 436 2323

Zoetermeer (20:00 – 02:00)

079 – 352 3737


030 – 294 3344

Some of these organisations are run by Dutch volunteers. If the volunteer cannot speak English, one will be found who can help. If the answer is a tape in Dutch, listen carefully – how to reach someone in person will be explained.


AIDS infoline

0900 204 2040

(in English, Monday to Wednesday : 09.30 – 15.30, thursday and Friday: 13.30 to 15.30)

Alcoholics Anonymous (24hr)

020 – 625 6057


Alcohol and Drug Abuse

Amsterdam (drugs, alcohol)

Jellinek Drug and alcohol help center

088 505 1220

The Hague

Triora 088 358 3741

Rotterdam (drugs, alcohol & clinic)

IGHD verslavingzorg 010 423 2711

Domestic Violence

Centre for Domestic Violence Amsterdam

020 626 3800 (8.00 – 23.00)

Emergency – 06 10599458

The Hague (24hr, everyday)

070 – 392 5774

Rotterdam (24hr, everyday)

010 – 476 1680

Child Line (02:00 – 20:00 everyday)
0800 0432

Drugs Advice Clinic


020 – 570 2355

The Hague Parnassia

070 – 391 7800

Lost and Found

Lost Something?
Go to www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, register what you lost and see if it is found. Always do a theft online declaration via www.politie.nl in case of theft or visit the policiebureau.

Found Something?
Report an object you found at: www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, and keep it at home. If no one comes to collect the object after one year, you can keep it. Handing in at the police station is no longer possible from January 2013.

For more information visit www.verlorenofgevonden.nl or thehague.com.

Credit Cards

0800 – 0313

Eurocard       (Mastercard)

030 – 283 5555

Giro Pass/Giros (24hr)    (ING MAstercard)

058 – 212 6000

Visa Card issued inside NL  (ABN AMRO)

020 – 660 0611

Visa Card issued outside NL

0800 022 4176


020 – 504 8000

Amex (after 20:00 and weekends)

020 – 504 8666

In a taxi
Amsterdam – 020 – 677 7777

The Hague – 070 – 555 5555

Rotterdam – 010 – 462 6060

In public transport or places
0900 9292

Embassies and Consulates

Find your Embassy or Consulate in the Netherlands: www.government.nl/issues/embassies-consulates-and-other-representations



What benefits are available in the Netherlands for low income households?

If you work or study in the Netherlands you may be entitled to a benefit. You can apply to the Belastingdienst (Tax Authorities) in order to receive a contribution towards the costs of your Dutch healthcare insurance (zorgtoeslag), rented house (huurtoeaslag) or children (kindgebonden budget). Visit the Belastingdienst’s website in order to find general information on how benefits work.

Are credit cards issued by banks to all customers?

A credit card is a separate bank card used to effectively pay for goods and services or to access cash using credit from the bank. A bank credit card usually provides customers with the benefits of protection against fraud and can be used worldwide, including for internet purchases. The credit card will have a monthly spending limit and all costs incurred must be repaid within a given time period, if interest charges are to be avoided. There is normally an annual fee charged by the bank for owning a credit card. In the Netherlands, most commercial banks have an arrangement with either MasterCard or VISA. The bank may choose to give you a credit card straight away, or after a certain period of time whilst they establish your spending patterns and that you have a regular source of income.

How can I get kindersbijslag (child benefit) and how does it work?

The kinderbijslag (child benefit) is a government allowance towards the expenses of raising a child. You are eligible for this allowance if you live and/or work in the Netherlands (or abroad but employed by a Dutch employer) and have a child or children under 18 years of age. There are no income or asset criteria. The procedure to claim child benefits is:

  • Following the registration of your child’s birth at your gemeente (municipality), your data will be forwarded to the Social Security Office (Sociale Verzekeringbank – SVB)
  • Within two to four weeks, the SVB will contact you about applying for the child benefit by mail or by submitting your application online using your DigiD (your digital identification code giving access to hundreds of Dutch Government websites).
  • After you have requested the child benefit, the SVB will send you its decision, stating the amount you will receive per child and the starting date for your child benefit.
  • The amount that you will receive is based upon the age of your child, number of children you have, and whether there are any special needs.
  • A quarterly payment is made into your bank account until your child reaches age18. When your child is older than 16, you will only continue receiving the child benefit if he/she goes to school and receives an income of no more than an annually fixed amount.

The child benefit is not exclusively for bringing up and caring of your own children; it also applies to adopted children, foster children, stepchildren or other children you bring up and care for as if they were your own. In this case, you must contact the SVB yourself to ask them to send you an application form. It is the same procedure if you arrive in the Netherlands with children who were born abroad. You can find the forms and further information at: https://www.svb.nl/en/child-benefit.

If your child lives outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, the amount that you receive for the child benefit may be adjusted to the price level in your child’s country of residence. Should the amount you are receiving be changed, you should receive a letter from the SVB informing you of the new amount.

What is kindgebonden budget (child-related budget) and do I qualify for it?

If you receive the kinderbijslag (child benefit), you may also qualify for kindgebonden budget (child-related budget). This is an extra monthly contribution from the government for low-income families. The child-related budget is granted by the Social Security Office (Sociale Verzekeringbank – SVB) and paid by the tax authorities (Belastingdienst). If you are receiving the child benefit, the SVB will submit a claim to the Belastingdienst for a child-related budget.

Whether you are eligible for the child-related budget depends on your family income and assets. If you qualify, you will receive a letter from them within eight weeks. If you don’t hear from the Belastingdienst, it means that your family income is too high to get this benefit. However, if you think you are entitled to a child-related budget, you can request it online with your DigiD account via ‘Mijntoeslagen’. Further information is available https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontentnl/belastingdienst/prive/toeslagen/kindgebonden-budget/voorwaarden/ (in Dutch only)

Who should take care of the children in case of divorce?

In case of divorce, you retain joint custody of the children, as during the marriage.

During the divorce procedure in the case of minor children, you need to make a ouderschapsplan (parenting plan) in which you state the following:

  • How you will share responsibility for the care and upbringing of your children
  • How you should inform and consult each other regarding important decisions such as the choice of school
  • How the expenses related to the children are to be shared, and the amount of maintenance to be paid for the them

You must also include and discuss the children’s wishes.

If you do not wish to share parental responsibility you can petition the court to assign it to one of you. The court decides who will be granted responsibility, and if you have more than one child, the court will assign parental responsibility for each child independently. However, it is not common to assign the parental responsibility to one of you. The basic rule is that both parents have parental responsibility.

My partner and I have decided to terminate our registered partnership. What do we need to do?

If you do not have minor children, this can be done without going to court. You need to draw up and conduct an agreement. The lawyer or notary declares that this agreement had been conducted and it is recorded in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships.

If you have minor children the same procedure applies as in the case of a divorce and you are obliged to draw up a parenting plan. The same rules as in the case of a divorce are also applied for maintenance and pension. For further information about divorce, separation and termination of a registered partnership visit the Dutch government’s website.

What are the legal aspects to take into account when registering a death in the Netherlands?

When a person passes away, it is important for the relatives to make an appointment with a notary/solicitor as soon as possible so that all legal aspects are covered within good time.

The notary, after checking the Centraal Testamentenregister(Central Register of Wills) and other population registers, issues a verklaring van erfrecht (certificate of succession) recording the names of the heirs. Once in possession of this certificate, you can access the deceased’s bank and/or giro accounts (banks may block any accounts in the name of the deceased).

You also need to notify employers, insurance companies, mortgage companies, pension funds and so on.

The declaration of death duties and capital transfer tax must be dealt with within eight months of the death by the heirs/beneficiaries (or the executor of the will). An heir/beneficiary should realise that they are liable for the consequences of accepting the estate from the time of death. This means that the value of any stocks and shares as it was on the date of death will be taken to settle the death duties and capital transfer tax, even if the value has changed considerably by the time of payment.

It is also advisable to contact the Embassy or Consulate of the deceased; they will be able to inform you or help you in dealing with all the formalities.

Losing a family member is a terrible blow at all times and having to rush around in search of documents, statements and legal advice in order to take care of the settlement of the estate only contributes to the aggravation. In some cases, you have to deal with the law of both the Netherlands and the law of your home country, e.g. if you have possessions (a house, land, etc.) in your home country or a third country. Filing for a divorce or facing a death is a stressful experience, especially if it happens in a foreign country. If you feel that you need to seek counselling, ACCESS provides a Counselling Service Network. Click here for more information.

Which documents are needed for registering a death?

When registering a death you will need to bring the following documents:

  • A valid identity document of the person making the registration and of the deceased
  • Your marriage certificate/partnership registration (if you are married or have formed a registered partnership)
  • A doctor’s statement concerning the death of the individual
  • If the burial or cremation takes place later than six days after the death has occurred, you will need a document from a medical professional which states that there is no objection to the postponement of the burial/cremation.

Do I need to make a Dutch will whilst I live here or is the will I made in my home country valid?

If you are not a Dutch citizen and you already have a will that was made according to the laws of the country in which it was drawn up, in principle, the will is also valid in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is party to the Convention Providing a Uniform Law on the Form of International Will and usually recognizes wills drawn up in another country. However, one of the conditions required is that the will has been drawn up in keeping with the law of that country.

It is advisable to consult a Dutch notaris  (notary) who is familiar with the registration and execution of foreign wills so that he/she can check whether the contents of the will conflict with Dutch law.

The will is then filed with the Central Register of Wills (Centraal Testamentenregister), and you will be assured of its recognition and validity in the Netherlands.

If you want to make a will in the Netherlands and decide who is going to inherit your estate and other possessions you can do so only in the presence of a Dutch notary.