ACCESS NL > Living in the Netherlands > Childcare in the Netherlands > How much does day care cost and can I get help with its cost?

Childcare in the Netherlands

What kinds of childcare are available in the Netherlands?

I am in need of a nanny/babysitter/childminder/au pair for my children. Can you suggest some options for me?

How much does baby-sitting cost in the Netherlands?

How much does day care cost and can I get help with its cost?

The cost for childcare depends on your personal situation. The tool here will give you an idea what to expect.

The Dutch government reimburses a substantial portion of the cost of childcare. The childcare benefit is called kinderopvangtoeslag. The amount that you will be entitled to receive is dependent on several factors such as the number of children, family income and the working hours of parents. There are four conditions to be entitled to receive kinderopvangtoeslag:

  • you and your partner are employed, studying (part-time or fulltime) or taking a civic integration course. For single parents different rules apply, depending on how much time the child  spends  with you. In some situations you may be considered as co-ouder (co-parent). More information about this is available on (Dutch only)
  • you have an unemployment benefit, disability benefit or social welfare andare studying (part-time or fulltime) or doing an internship as part of an official programme to find a job again
  • your child goes to day care, buitenschoolse opvang (after-school care), or is taken care of by a private childminder which are registered on the Nationaal Register Kinderopvang (national register for childcare) – Find out whether a day care /private childminder is registered at (in Dutch only)
  • you apply within three months from the date that the childcare started

For further information about the conditions to receive the childcare benefit  look at

The childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag) should not be confused with the child benefit (kindersbijslag). Child benefit is a government allowance towards the expenses of raising a child. You are eligible for this allowance if you live and/or work in the Netherlands (or abroad but employed by a Dutch employer) and have a child or children under 18 years of age. There are no income or asset criteria.