Childcare in the Netherlands
What kinds of childcare are available in the Netherlands?
I am a looking for a day care centre for my children. Can you suggest some day care centres for me?
How much does day care cost and can I get help with its cost?
Childcare centres typically charge an hourly rate of between €6-8 per hour. The amount that parents or the employing company of the spouse would be expected to pay depends on a number of factors including:
- The type of day care required
- The number of days required each week and for how long each day
- The type of financing (whether this is done privately, through a company or if it is a subsided place)
- The amount of the parental contribution (if it is a company or a subsided place)
The Dutch government reimburses a substantial portion of the cost of childcare. The childcare benefit is called kinderopvangtoeslag. The amount that you will be entitled to receive is dependent on a number of factors such as the number of children, family income and the working hours of parents. There are currently two conditions to be entitled to receive kinderopvangtoeslag:
- you and your partner are employed, studying, registered to find a job or taking a civic integration course
- your child goes to a day care, buitenschoolse opvang ( after-school care), or is taken care of by a private childminder which are registered on the Nationaal Register Kinderopvang (national register for childcare) – Find out whether a day care is registered at www.landelijkregisterkinderopvang.nl (in Dutch only)
- you apply within three months from the date that the childcare started
For further information about the conditions to receive the childcare benefit click here.
At the following government’s website you will find information about how to claim the childcare benefit and how to calculate the amount you are entitled to: www.government.nl/topics/child-benefit-schemes/childcare-benefit.
The childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag) should not be confused with the child benefit (kindersbijslag). For more information click here.