ACCESS NL > Leaving the Netherlands > Practicalities of leaving the Netherlands > What should I do with things I can’t sell?

Practicalities of leaving the Netherlands

I have a Dutch bank account. Do I need to close it before I leave?

What should I do with my Dutch car?

What do I need to do with my rental property when I leave?

What options do I have with property that I own?

How do I sort out my utilities commitments before I leave?

How do I end my Dutch telephone contract agreements

How do I end my TV/internet contract agreements?

What should I do with things I can’t sell?

After you have decided which clothes, furniture and other belongings you wish to take with you, you need to consider what to do with everything else. Some items can be sold to friends, colleagues or to other people via internet sales sites such as or (both sites are in Dutch only) and at second-hand stores. Of course, even then, there will be some unwanted belongings for which you cannot find a buyer. There are collection (recycling) points in all major towns and cities throughout the Netherlands where you can leave any unwanted clothes or shoes. You will often find these recycling points near shopping centres. If your clothes are good quality, you can donate them to the Salvation Army. You can find out how to donate your unwanted items to the Salvation Army family stores at Alternatively you can take household items to a charity shop (e.g. Kringloopwinkel). You can check the telephone book to find a charity shop in your area or visit their website at (in Dutch only). They may agree to collect large heavy items at an agreed time.

If an item is worn out, it is probably best to just dispose of it. Small items such as clothes, pots and pans can be put in the normal refuse bags. If you have larger items to dispose of, you will need to contact the waste collection company of your municipality to make an appointment for grofvuil ( the collection of large waste itemsl). They will tell you when it will be collected and how much it will cost.

Who should I contact for help with moving house?