Practicalities of leaving the Netherlands

I have a Dutch bank account. Do I need to close it before I leave?

What should I do with my Dutch car?

If you want to take your car with you, you must cancel your Dutch vehicle registration at one of the regional offices of the RDW (Dutch Road Transport Directorate) before leaving the Netherlands. To find the RDW office nearest to you click here (in Dutch only).

For more information you can visit the RDW page in English.

You will need to present three documents to cancel your registration:

  • A valid form of identification
  • Vehicle registration certificate part 1B
  • The transfer certificate (a copy of part II) of the vehicle registration certificate. You also need to bring the vehicle kentekenplaten (registration plates) of the car you want to export

After you have filled in an export declaration, you will receive from the RDW:

  • Proof that the vehicle registration certificate part 1B has been cancelled
  • The completed export declaration.
  • If you are moving to a non-EU country, you may be able to take advantage of the so-called ‘removal goods facility’. In that case, you do not have to pay import duties in your new country. Whether you will be charged import duties or not depends on the regulations of the country you are moving to. Contact the embassy or consulate of this country for more information or alternatively search for the information on the government’s official website for tax and customs/duty

What do I need to do with my rental property when I leave?

What options do I have with property that I own?

How do I sort out my utilities commitments before I leave?

How do I end my Dutch telephone contract agreements

How do I end my TV/internet contract agreements?

What should I do with things I can’t sell?

Who should I contact for help with moving house?