ACCESS NL > Healthcare in the Netherlands > Dutch medical insurances > Dutch health insurance > Can I use my Dutch health insurance abroad?

Dutch health insurance

What is included in the basic Dutch health insurance package?

Are there different health insurance policies? And what is the difference?

Is dental healthcare covered by the insurance?

Can I get additional coverage for my health insurance?

How will my children be insured?

Do I need to take out Dutch health insurance if I am on a short-term stay?

If I don’t have a Dutch health insurance policy yet, is there a way to get my medical costs reimbursed?

I just took out a Dutch health insurance policy but now the insurance company wants me to pay the premium for a few months retrospectively. Can they do that?

What will happen if I don’t take out Dutch health insurance?

Is there a deductible (eigen risico)?

My residence permit has expired and my application to renew it has been rejected. Can I still get medical help here?

Can I use my Dutch health insurance abroad?

When you are traveling in the EU/EEA (including Switzerland) and carry Dutch health insurance, you are entitled to the same health care as the locals. However, administration and reimbursement for public health care will be easier if you have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply for the EHIC with your health insurance company and you will need to show it if you go to see a doctor or get hospital treatment abroad. Please bear in mind the following:

  • EHIC is accepted only by doctors or hospitals under the local public health care system or so-called ‘statutory’ health care system. Therefore, private health care is not covered. If you are unsure, check with your insurance company about where you can go
  • Only emergency care abroad is covered.
  • If you are travelling abroad specifically for medical treatment the EHIC does not apply.

Your regular Dutch insurance covers costs abroad up to the Dutch tariff. In other countries tariffs are often higher and you might get financial problems paying the bill. Therefore it is suggested to take out a travel insurane for medical costs.

If you work in the Netherlands but reside in another country, different rules apply. In this case you can ask your Dutch health insurance company for an E106 form. With the 106 form, you are entitled to the statutorily insured medical care in your country of residence without having to pay a premium. However, costs will not always be reimbursed 100%.  For more information, please contact your Dutch health insurance company.

Information for EU citizens

Information for Dutch residents

I have recently moved to the Netherlands and I don't have a BSN number. Is it possible to have health insurance without a BSN number?

I have a Dutch health insurance and would like to change to another insurance company. How can I arrange this?