Scam via Marktplaats and WhatsApp
2019-03-26 | By Genoveva Geppaart
Internet scammers have found a new form of fraud: getting login details from your bank account via Marktplaats and WhatsApp.
When offering something on Marktplaats, a potential buyer contacts you directly via WhatsApp instead of via Marktplaats. Wanting to ensure he can trust you, he asks you to transfer €0.01 via Tikkie (a mobile phone app to make payments). You receive a link looking like a link to Tikkie, but it leads to a fake website that is a lookalike. After entering your login details, the scammers login to your bank account using the login details they received via the fake-Tikkie website.
Some people tell the police they noticed a green lock next to the URL, which indicates it is a safe website. Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true any more. It only indicates that the connection is secured. Nowadays also scammers use such a green lock.
How to avoid getting scammed
The following tips can help avoid becoming a victim of scammers:
- When it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
- Be alert if somebody can’t come to pick the item up.
- Check on https://www.politie.nl/aangifte-of-melding-doen/controleer-handelspartij.html (Dutch only) if there is any information with the police about the person who wants to do business with you.
- Make your agreements only via Marktplaats.
- Never send a copy of your ID, bankcard or bank statement to a potential buyer or vendor.
- As a seller, never accept a copy of a bank statement as it can be fake
- Never accept requests to transfer €0.01.
- Pay via IDEAL offered by the online payment platform from Marktplaats. The information from the vendor has already been checked by this platform.
- Use the service “gelijk oversteken”: you pay via IDEAL and the vendor receives his money once the package has been received by you. In case you don’t receive your package, you get your money back.
What to do if you have been scammed
If you notice that you have been scammed, it is important to inform your bank immediately. In addition, you should inform Marktplaats on https://help.marktplaats.nl/help/veilig_handelen_internetoplichting/oplichting and the police on https://www.politie.nl/aangifte-of-melding-doen#ik-ben-opgelicht-bij-een-aankoop-of-verkoop-via-internet (Dutch only)