ACCESS NL > Education in the Netherlands > Learning Dutch > Learning Dutch for civic integration > What are the different types of civic integration exams?

Learning Dutch for civic integration

What is the inburgeringsexamen and who has to take it?

What are the different types of civic integration exams?

There are three types of inburgeringsexamen (civic integration exams). The first two can be used to apply for a permanent residence or Dutch passport.

  • The integration exam tests one’s knowledge of Dutch and Dutch society at level A2
  • The Dutch as a second language state exam NT2 (als tweede taal staatsexamen) is intended for adults and young adults from foreign countries who would like to work or study in the Netherlands. The examination consists in four exams (reading, listening, speaking and writing) and results in a diploma. This certifies that the candidate has adequate proficiency in the Dutch language to start a study programme in Dutch or to work. You can follow Programme I (if you want to do professional work or want to follow a course) or programme II (if you want to do work at a higher professional or university level)
  • The vocational diploma (beroepsonderwijs diploma) is designed for those who want vocational training such as engineering, health care, social professions, etc. This programme takes longer than the other options because it requires the individual to focus on the chosen vocational subject in addition to becoming competent in the use of the Dutch language. Professional qualification (MBO-1 and MBO-2) is awarded upon successful completion of the course

What skills will I be tested on during the integration examination?

Where can I attend an Inburgering course?