ACCESS NL > Education in the Netherlands > Dutch higher education > Universities in the Netherlands > I gained my diploma in another country. How can I evaluate and/or have it recognised in the Netherlands?
Universities in the Netherlands
I gained my diploma in another country. How can I evaluate and/or have it recognised in the Netherlands?
In the Netherlands, two centres of expertise work together on evaluating foreign diplomas:
- Nuffic: the Dutch organisation for internationalisation in education
- SBB (samenwerkingsorganisatie beroepsonderwijs bedrijfsleven): which is the cooperation organisation for vocational education, training and the labour market
To know the worth of your diploma in the Dutch system, you can visit the Internationale diplomawaardering – IDW (international credential evaluation) website at www.idw.nl/en/ below a sum-up of the different possible situations:
You have a foreign diploma and you want to study in the Netherlands
You should first contact the institution where you plan to study. They will arrange for your diploma to be evaluated. Ask the institution if there are any costs related to the evaluation. If diplomas are evaluated at the request of one of the regularly- subsidised educational institutions, there is normally no charge. However, if the request comes from a private organisation or individual, a fee is charged.
Visit the Nuffic website www.nuffic.nl/en/diploma-recognition. This organisation can evaluate any diploma from any country and let you know if you are eligible to study in the Netherlands.
You have a foreign diploma and you want to work in the Netherlands
- If you are unemployed and are looking for a job in the Netherlands, you should go to the Public Employment Service (UWV Werkbedrijf). Find information on their website (in Dutch with some English pages): www.werk.nl. The UWV Werkbedrijf will request a diploma evaluation on your behalf and tell you which documents you need to supply. They will pay the fees for the evaluation
- If you have a job in a non-regulated profession and are looking for another, you can apply to the IDW for a diploma evaluation. You will have to pay for the evaluation fee yourself
- If you wish to practise in a regulated profession in the Netherlands, you will have to get in touch with the official body that grants admission to the profession in question. You can see on www.nuffic.nl/en/diploma-recognition/recognition-of-your-profession-in-the-netherlands if your profession is regulated in the Netherlands and, if so, which organisation you need to contact
You have a foreign diploma and you are interested in its value in the Netherlands. You do not know yet if you want to work or study in the Netherlands.
You can request a diploma evaluation from UWV Werkbedrijf under the same procedure as if you were looking for a job in the Netherlands.
If you still have questions, Nuffic and SBB have created the Informatiecentrum DiplomaWaardering – IcDW (information centre for credential evaluation). You may contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling on 079 321 7930.