ACCESS NL > Dual careers in the Netherlands > Working in the Netherlands > Finding a job in the Netherlands > If I want to apply for a job, would I need a work permit as a student?

Finding a job in the Netherlands

I will be relocating to the Netherlands or I am new to the Netherlands and have yet to find work. I don’t speak Dutch and would be happy to receive any advice from you with regards to employment possibilities and opportunities in the Netherlands.

Where can I find information about international jobs in the Netherlands?

Will I be paid during my internship?

What kind of CV and cover letter is customary to support job applications in the Netherlands?

What steps should I take to prepare myself for my interview?

Where can I find job openings for students?

If I want to apply for a job, would I need a work permit as a student?

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are free to work without restrictions.

Highly educated persons scheme

‘The orientation year for highly educated persons’applies to all recently graduated students in the Netherlands from non-EU countries.
The residence permit orientation year for highly educated persons can be submitted within three years after completing the studies or after obtaining the PhD.
The scheme gives those graduated in the Netherlands the opportunity to first return to their country of origin after having completed their studies, and to then come back to the Netherlands. A work permit is not needed, which means that if you hold a residence permit for the orientation year for higher educated persons you are allowed to work in the Netherlands without any restrictions.
More information is available on the IND’s website.

Work permit application

Should you need a work permit to work while studying, your employer needs to apply for it at

Exception for internships

If you are studying at a Dutch host institution and you need to do an internship as part of your study programme, you do not need a work permit. Your host institution and your employer do need to sign an internship agreement. Please note that this exception does not apply for exchange students. For more information click here.

How can I find an internship?

What is the difference between an internship and a traineeship?