ACCESS NL > Relocating to the Netherlands > First three months > Formalities > Do I need to legalise or translate my documents to register?


What is a BSN? Am I required to get one?

Do I need to legalise or translate my documents to register?

Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an Apostille. An Apostille Certificate is an official certificate issued to documents so they will be recognised in member states without further Legalisation. It must be done in the country where the documents were issued and cannot be done in the Netherlands.

Authenticity stamp and the bureaucratic procedures linked to it will no longer be required when presenting public documents issued in one EU country to the authorities of another EU country. Under the new rules, citizens are also no longer required to provide a sworn/ official translation of their public document in many cases.

Find further information on the website of the government.

Will my driving licence be valid?

Which insurances are most important in the Netherlands?

Is there any insurance that applies to me as a student?

List of useful numbers in the Netherlands

What to do when I hear the sirens?

Which formalities are needed when I move within the Netherlands?