ACCESS NL > Living in the Netherlands > Living with COVID-19 > I’m leaving the Netherlands and I cannot visit the town hall in person. How do I de-register during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Living with COVID-19

Due to Covid-19, my contract has been cancelled and now I am unemployed. Am I eligible to claim [unemployment] benefits?

I’m leaving the Netherlands and I cannot visit the town hall in person. How do I de-register during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Deregistration options can vary by municipality. For example, in The Hague you can deregister in person or via post, whereas in Amsterdam you also have the option to deregister using your DigiD.  Therefore, depending on your municipality, you may deregister in one of three ways:

  • In person at the municipality in which you live: Please note that due to Covid-19, procedures may differ from normal. Municipalities are open by appointment only; therefore you need to ensure you book an appointment online or by telephone. Please bring your passport or country ID card with you. You will receive a printed confirmation of deregistration from the municipality.
  • Online: Report your move and deregister online using your DigiD. Follow the Dutch instructions for reporting your move.
  • By post: By sending a deregistration notification to the municipality in which you live. Please download the deregistration form of your municipality, fill it in and send it to the gemeente address of the municipality where you were registered. For your information, you can only deregister by post when all the members of a family at one address are moving abroad together. If this is not the case, then everyone who is leaving the Netherlands (including minors) must appear in person at the department’s counter to deregister.

If you have a Dutch residence permit and are leaving the country on a permanent basis, then you must return your residence permit as it is a property of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. You can send it by post to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst – IND):

IND Bureau Documenten

P.O. Box 7025

8007 HA Zwolle

Before mailing the document, you must make it invalid by making a cut in the document or perforating it. Do not cut the document in half. It is also possible to hand in your residence document at the IND desk in your region. Please call the IND 088 043 04 30 (Monday-Friday, 9:00-17:00) to make an appointment.

For more information related to deregistering, check:

I received a letter to collect my updated residence card. I went to the office and it was closed. How can I collect the residence card during the Covid-19 pandemic?

I have recently moved to the Netherlands and I don't have a BSN number. Is it possible to have health insurance without a BSN number?

At this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, I would like to help in any way possible. Are there any volunteering opportunities?

Can you tell me if there is any financial support for freelancers due to lost income caused by Covid-19?

What should I do if my temporary lease ends due to Covid-19?

Can I be evicted if I lose my job?

Can Covid-19 be a ground for terminating a rental contract prematurely on my behalf?