ACCESS NL > Living in the Netherlands > Living with COVID-19 > Can you tell me if there is any financial support for freelancers due to lost income caused by Covid-19?

Living with COVID-19

Due to Covid-19, my contract has been cancelled and now I am unemployed. Am I eligible to claim [unemployment] benefits?

I’m leaving the Netherlands and I cannot visit the town hall in person. How do I de-register during the Covid-19 pandemic?

I received a letter to collect my updated residence card. I went to the office and it was closed. How can I collect the residence card during the Covid-19 pandemic?

At this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, I would like to help in any way possible. Are there any volunteering opportunities?

Can you tell me if there is any financial support for freelancers due to lost income caused by Covid-19?

The Dutch government has set up schemes that can help organisations and self-employed people during this pandemic. For an overview of the measures, consult: and (both websites are in Dutch).

The three schemes most relevant to freelancers are:

  • Tozo (Temporary bridging measure for self-employed professionals): This loan is intended for self-employed professionals (such as entrepreneurs, including self-employed persons). If you meet the conditions, you will be able to apply for a temporary benefit to bridge the loss of income from 1 March 2020 onwards in the municipality where you live. If you meet the conditions, you can request support through your municipality for additional living and/or working capital benefits. The living allowance supplements income for up to three months to the social minimum if your total income has fallen below the assistance level as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Depending on your income and household situation, this can amount to a maximum of €1,500 (net). There is no capital or partner test, and you do not have to repay the income support for living costs later. You can apply for a working capital loan up to a maximum of €10,157 to solve liquidity problems. You can go to your municipality website for your application via a digital application form. This concerns the residential municipality, not the municipality where your company is located. Some municipalities use a separate organisation for implementation.
  • TOGS (The Entrepreneur Affected Sectors Allowance Covid-19): This scheme is a one-off payment of €4,000 (tax free). For more information and to apply, please follow this link: (in Dutch). The allowance is intended for small and medium enterprises (with and without personnel) which suffer damage due to forced closure, limited meetings and/or restricted travel. You are eligible if you meet the conditions and the main activity of your company corresponds to one of the SBI codes specified in the scheme. The allowance is provided per company, not per location. To claim this scheme, the company must have been founded and registered with the Chamber of Commerce as of 15 March 2020. If you meet the criteria, you can submit an application at RVO. RVO approves your application within three weeks, after which you are paid. You have three months for your application. You can find more information about which entrepreneurs are eligible on
  • TVL (The Reimbursement Fixed Costs for SMEs): This scheme helps SMEs with a maximum of 250 employees to pay part of their fixed costs. It is a compensation for fixed costs like rent and maintenance, for businesses with more than 30% turnover loss due to the corona crisis, and with one of the selected SBI codes (the same ones that are eligible for TOGS):

For more information about these measures, consult the following sites (some of them are only in Dutch):

What should I do if my temporary lease ends due to Covid-19?

Can I be evicted if I lose my job?

Can Covid-19 be a ground for terminating a rental contract prematurely on my behalf?

Can Covid-19 be a ground for terminating a rental contract prematurely on my behalf?